Does Insurance Cover Chiropractors? How to Use Your Insurance for Chiropractic Care
June 9, 2023
Chiropractic services may be covered by some insurance plans, but it depends on the specific plan and the policies of the insurance company. Many plans do offer chiropractic covered by insurance, but the extent of coverage can vary widely. Some plans may cover only a limited number of visits, while others may cover a greater number of visits or a broader range of chiropractic services.
Ask your specific insurance payor to answer the question: does insurance cover chiropractors and to determine what the terms of the coverage are. You can also check with the chiropractor's office to see if they accept your insurance plan and what the out-of-pocket costs may be.
Are out-of-network chiropractors covered by insurance?
Whether or not out-of-network chiropractors are covered by insurance depends on the specific insurance plan you have. Some insurance plans may provide some level of coverage for out-of-network chiropractors, but the benefits may be less than if you were seeing an in-network provider. Other plans may not cover out-of-network chiropractors at all, in which case you would be responsible for the full cost of the services.
It's important to check with your insurance provider to determine the terms of your coverage for out-of-network providers, including chiropractors. You can also check with the chiropractor's office to see if they accept your insurance plan and if they are willing to bill your insurance provider directly for services, or if you will need to submit a claim for reimbursement.
Keep in mind that if you do see an out-of-network provider, you may be responsible for paying a higher copay or deductible, and you may need to meet a higher out-of-pocket maximum before your insurance coverage kicks in. Also note what kind of plan you have. Knowing the difference between HMO and PPO plans will help you better understand your coverage.
Do chiropractors take insurance even when they are not part of any network?
Yes, chiropractors who are not part of any insurance network may still accept insurance. These chiropractors are often referred to as out-of-network providers, and they may bill your insurance company directly or provide you with a receipt or claim form that you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.
However, if the chiropractor is not part of your insurance network, you may be responsible for a higher out-of-pocket cost than if you were seeing an in-network provider. This is because your insurance plan may not cover as much of the cost of services provided by out-of-network providers. (Go deeper on the difference between in-network vs out-of-network providers.)
If you are considering seeing an out-of-network chiropractor and are unsure about the cost or coverage, it's important to check with your insurance company beforehand to understand the terms of your policy. You can also check with the chiropractor's office to see if they accept your insurance plan and what the out-of-pocket costs may be.
Does health insurance cover chiropractic differently depending on your plan?
Yes, health insurance coverage for chiropractic care can vary depending on the specific insurance plan you have. The details of chiropractic coverage, including the number of visits covered, any copayments or deductibles that apply, and the types of services that are covered, can all vary depending on your insurance plan. Some plans may require pre-authorization or a referral from your primary care physician before you can receive chiropractic care.
It's important to check with your insurance company to understand the specific terms of your chiropractic coverage. This can help you determine what services are covered, how much you will be responsible for paying out of pocket, and whether you need to take any additional steps to ensure that your care is covered by your insurance plan. If you’d like a faster and easier solution, let SuperBill for insurance verify your benefits and file your claims for you. You’ll know your coverage in seconds flat!
How to find chiropractors covered by insurance
If you are looking for chiropractors who are covered by your insurance, there are several ways to find them:
- Check your insurance provider's website: Most insurance providers have a website where you can search for in-network chiropractors in your area. You can typically search by location, specialty, and other criteria to find a chiropractor who is covered by your insurance plan.
- Call your insurance provider: If you prefer to speak to a representative, you can call your insurance provider's customer service number and ask for a list of in-network chiropractors in your area. The representative can provide you with information on the chiropractors in your area who are covered by your insurance plan.
- Ask for recommendations: You can ask your primary care physician or other healthcare providers for recommendations for chiropractors who are covered by your insurance. You can also ask friends or family members who have received chiropractic care for their recommendations.
- Contact chiropractors directly: You can contact chiropractors in your area and ask if they accept your insurance plan. They can also provide information on the out-of-pocket costs you may be responsible for, and any other information you may need to know about receiving chiropractic care with your insurance plan.
- Sign up for SuperBill! We’ll get you the best reimbursement possible for your out-of-network chiropractic care. Have a bill that you need lowered? We also offer medical bill negotiation!
What to do if you can’t afford chiropractic care
If you are unable to afford chiropractic care, there are several options you can consider:
- Check if your insurance covers chiropractic care: If you have health insurance, check if it covers chiropractic care. If it does, you may be able to receive chiropractic care at a reduced cost or at no cost, depending on your plan.
- Look for free or low-cost clinics: There may be free or low-cost clinics in your area that offer chiropractic services. You can search online or contact your local health department or community health center for more information.
- Consider alternative treatments: If you are unable to afford chiropractic care, you may want to consider alternative treatments, such as massage therapy, physical therapy, or acupuncture, which may be covered by your insurance plan or available at a lower cost.
- Talk to your chiropractor: If you already have a chiropractor, talk to them about your financial situation. They may be able to work with you to create a payment plan or provide services at a reduced cost.
- Look for chiropractic schools: Chiropractic schools may offer low-cost or free chiropractic care as part of their training programs. Contact the schools in your area to see if they offer such programs.
Remember that it's important to prioritize your health and seek care when you need it. Don't hesitate to reach out to your primary care provider for help and support.
How SuperBill helps with chiropractic insurance
If you do have OON benefits, or you’re unsure if your insurance covers chiropractors, SuperBill may be able to help! SuperBill verifies your benefits, then files and tracks your out-of-network claims. We will update you on the status of your claim at every interval, and do everything we can to get it reimbursed.
You can jump through all the hoops to make sure you get your chiropractic covered by insurance, OR you can let SuperBill for insurance handle it all for you. We have worked with countless patients to get them the reimbursement they deserve. Power to the patient!